Saturday, August 13, 2016

The Old Guy

I'm turning 53 next week and I've come to the conclusion that at this stage of my life, it's just a number. That may sound cynical to some, but over my lifetime, I've had more than enough birthday parties, cake, ice cream, and balloons of various colors and sayings. At the garage where I work, I've had three co-workers, all of whom are under the age of 25, ask me if I'm going to take the day off. My response has been, "Why? - It's just my birthday." - and they seem more than a bit surprised. I guess I was raised in a generation where that didn't happen, where as it's common place today. As of this juncture, I still don't know why it's commonplace. 

Maybe I'm feeling a bit more nostalgic lately, not because I'm another 365 days older, but because of numerous changes in the automotive industry. I was reading an article last week how the author stated we were losing yet another vehicle design staple that has been around for more than 100 years; the sedan. Yes, the 4-door. This was one vehicle type I thought would never die. But think about it for a minute - Chrysler (ie; Fiat) is killing off it's Dart / 200 platform and Buick is axing it's midsize Regal, and there are no replacements in sight. I didn't even realize the Ford Taurus is now only available in China. Police vehicles? In our neck of the woods, they are all going to the Ford Explorer. That also begs the question, what will happen to the Dodge Charger R/T, the Chrysler 300C, and the Chevy SS after 2017? The manufacturers are just following a true-to-form platform they've always adhered to; they're building cars the public wants (or at least that's what they think). Trucks and SUV's have made a very strong comeback this year, and CUV's (crossover utility vehicles) are now the number one seller and platform with consumers.

Later that afternoon after reading this article, I chilled out on my patio and observed Sunday traffic, especially since a good number of tourists were leaving our area now that a well-known local festival was over. I was amazed at just how many people were driving CUV's. I never noticed before and now that I did, it was to the point of scary. I also did a photo shoot a few days later at a classic car show / cruise in, and for the first time in a while, I really took in the curves, lines, and design cues of a blue and white
4-door '56 Chevy BelAir, complete with Baby Moon wheel covers and wide white-wall tires, as well as an extremely rare but cool '66 Dodge Coronet sedan with a factory 426 Hemi engine. Both were suddenly so damn cool again. Ditto with an old Ford wagon that was there. And I thought, am I going to feel the same 25 years from now about a 2015 Charger R/T? Over the years, roadsters, sedan deliveries, and vehicles like the El Camino have come and gone. I guess I'll just to wait and see as we plow grille first into autonomous / CUV utopia...


I had another chance last week while working at
the shop to prove I'm sort of a dinosaur. I have a Johnny Lightning Zinger on my desk that happens to be a 1965 Nova SS altered wheelbase drag racer on steroids. I think it's cool. I had a young lad, just south of nine, ask me about it - as in what is it. I also showed him my computer desktop wallpaper that is a bright orange 1964 Ford Falcon A/FX car with Hilborn injection stacks atop a 427 Cammer motor. He got as far as the vehicles are dragged raced and that's about it. When I showed him the "collector card" that comes with each Zinger, with it's wildly depicted art of wheelies, burnouts, and fire coming out of the open headers, then he really got into it. I had a duplicate card of the same model, so I gave him the one I showed him. The boy thought we won the lottery - his Mom... well, I'm not so sure. While the young squeaker didn't even come close to understanding what I was talking about, maybe a seed was planted for the future in regards to old-school drag racing, A/FX cars and Gassers, the sports history, and maybe hot rods in general. Without the enthusiasm of the youth, we'll be dead in the water.

Until next time, peace out and pay it forward,
Dave

No comments:

Post a Comment