Saturday, June 10, 2017

3-D Hot Rodding

Remember when I posted on here not too long ago that I was seriously considering purchasing my next hot rod? I also listed off a number of options based on speed, price, coolness factor, and a number of other criteria. The easiest one to accomplish was the coolness factor - just about any hot rod or street rod from the late 40's on down would fit the bill without batting an eyelash. Price wasn't too much of an issue either, as long as it was south of $20,000, preferably under $15,000. I'm not looking for a project; I'm done with that for a while. My work load is such, any project car needing anything more than very minor work would just sit in my garage. Full-on paint job? Not happening. Engine rebuild? Don't have the time. Major interior re-do? Nope. Granted, purchasing a hot rod that is turn key and in decent condition for 15 large takes some digging, but it can be done. My goal was that this next rig will literally be turn-key and drive home - a process I fell in love with when I purchased my antique Mustang back in May 2012.

I was talking with a long time hot rodding friend the other day who has owned the gamut of vintage street rod iron. Everything from t-buckets to Model A's, Ford's and Chevy's - the works. I mentioned I was leaning towards purchasing a t-bucket, mainly because the ones I was looking at were decent, simple, wicked fast, and met the selling price criteria. When he told me to seriously reconsider, I was taken aback. He then told me out of all the hot rods he had owned, the t-bucket was in his possession the least amount of time. When I asked why, he simply stated, "... because I couldn't drive it that much. You have to think three dimensional with stuff from the 20's and 30's."

It was about that time I thought there was the possibility that he had lost his marbles. Then he gave me a few hardcore examples of these three dimensions - weather, nature (non-weather related) and time. He asked me to remember my antique Mustang; He asked when did I drive it - I pretty much drove it between May and October, then stored it for the winter. He asked if it had heat, wipers, defrost, and other necessities - of course it did. He then clued me in that a t-bucket is like riding a motorcycle; open to the elements ALL the time... even when you're not driving it. "This is Maine - it ain't southern California. The same thing applies if you purchase a roadster street rod. Do yourself a favor - stick with a go-fast buggy that has a roof. You'll be ten times happier... and so will your wife. Trust me!"

He said the same concepts apply with chopped and channeled rat rods. He painfully reminded me that neither of us were getting any younger and mentioned about the difficulties I have currently with my legs and knees. He dared me to picture driving 4 hours in a rat rod that had the seats merely inches off the floor and my legs straight out, unable to recline. His wisdom sunk in, and put my ego back in check. He was right - I had to consider reality and not let my ego and emotions make excuses when it comes to tossing out common sense, especially in regards to the climate where I live. My ego will just have to live with the myth that it thinks I'm becoming too much of an old fart. Pictured above is one of the serious potential purchases on the radar - a 1937 Dodge coupe with a big block 440 Magnum. Fully functional and turn key. The best part? Asking price is only $12,500. We'll see how this pans out.

Until next time, peace out.
Dave

No comments:

Post a Comment