Sunday, July 2, 2017

4th of July and Automotive Freedoms

I live in a very tourist-oriented area here along the coast of Maine and with July 4th on our doorstep, I can honestly say, without a doubt, summer is here... and all that goes with it. According to the local paper, some 625,000+ people are going to cross the border into Maine over the next few days. By now, you're probably asking what the hell does this have to do with Full Throttle?

There's a funny but strange phenomenon that occurs when the tourists "blindly invade" (a local term, especially on the out-lying islands) our area. First off, yard sales multiply about 30-fold. And with that, comes things that you normally don't see. For example, my wife and I were heading home from a cookout yesterday afternoon when we saw a huge yard sale still in progress. The key item that caught my eye was a 1942 Pontiac 2-door sedan that had an asking price of $3000. Normally, one would never see something like this when tourists are absent. When I first eyeballed the price, I kinda expected a vehicle that needed quite a bit of work, but it was in surprisingly restorable condition, plus it started, ran and drove. Okay, it had the ubiquitous 6-cylinder and 3-speed stick, but it was a decent street rod starting point if someone had the time and money.

That's all well and good, but what about the "automotive freedom" bit? This is something, at least in the automotive hobby, still holds true and has not been subject to a total lack of empathy, a meltdown of brand bashing, and filled with assholes like other facets of life. Our government is one example that comes to mind, especially on the national level. And while, yes - there are some people in this hobby that are way too egotistical, self-centered, and just plain stupid assholes - what I mean by automotive freedom is that, whether a casual enthusiast or hardcore gear head, we can appreciate each other, our varied skills, each others ideas, and as a whole the concept of "...united we stand, divided we fall".

I've had the pleasure and experience of engaging in hot rod road trips as well as drag racing events. Even in competition, there's still a general camaraderie among car people. The same holds true with motorcyclists and people who RV. At national drag racing events, I've seen competitors "loan" engines and other drive-train parts to other teams. That's literally unheard of in any other type of professional sport. On road trips in a hot rod, I've had people stop and attempt to help (and actually help) when I've experienced a breakdown. I've even had police officers pull me over in a hot rod just because they want a closer look at it.

The second part of the automotive freedom concept is mostly psychological. I work in an automotive repair garage with my oldest daughter who is a top ASE technician. Recently, I was asked if my oldest grandson (who loves coming up to the shop on occasion), who is also my oldest daughter's son, if he'll be working at the same garage when he's older. My response was, "At his point, I honestly don't know. Even though he's eleven, there's a lot of years between now and when he's an adult." The question that followed was, "Do you hope he follows in your family's footsteps?" My response to that was first, I want him to grow up being true to himself and not be an asshole. He can be whatever he wants to be in life. Treat people the way you want to be treated - which is decently. Second, I've told my grandson before, don't be afraid to make a living with your hands. In our modern society, too many blue collar professions (and the people employed in them) are downplayed as crass and stupid. It doesn't matter if you're a plumber, a construction worker, or an automotive mechanic / technician. Granted, there are some people out there who fit that mold in those industries, but it's in the extreme minority.

I also said the same holds true for my granddaughter. Do what you love, even if it's in a male-dominated field. It is no less noble to teach boys and girls how to repair machinery than it is to educate them about literature. Fabricating is just as vital as litigating. Want to go to a technical school while you're in high school? Go for it. Both my daughters are worlds better off because of it. Want to attend college? By all means, attend the college of your choice and nail it. The automotive world is waiting for you and needs you. Just be sure you leave the drama, bullshit, and prejudicial divides at the door.

Until next time, peace out & have a safe 4th.
Dave

No comments:

Post a Comment