Sunday, November 26, 2017

So Now What Do We Do?

As I write this at the tail end of Thanksgiving weekend, hopefully all of you are finally over that holiday food comatose and behaved yourselves (unlike some others I read about in the news) during Black Friday. As much as BF leaves an ugly taste in my mouth, I must admit there were some truly screaming deals online over the weekend in regards to classic car parts as well as go-fast goodies. It was a decent way to get a jump start on your winter hot rod project or perhaps snag some speed parts for installation on your street machine next Spring. But as this weekend draws to a close, and most of the country is preparing for winter, it begs the question - what do we do now?

One of the biggest things about the hot rodding hobby in winter is the ubiquitous project car. It runs the gamut - some will get started, others will get finished, while some more will be stalled and/or given up on. And it's the last one that still bugs me; why was a vintage piece of Detroit iron given up on? Don't get me wrong - I've lived through this - life can throw some pretty nasty curve balls at you that were totally unexpected and the project car has to go because funds are needed. You simply have no choice. However, I believe those scenarios are in the minority. What usually happens, and I've been a victim of this many moons ago, is a failure to plan realistically. I can daydream with the rest of them and visualize a twin-turbo big block that cranks out 1,200 horsepower between the fenders of a 60's musclecar. Or an old-school small block, complete with the BDS blower, on the rails of a 1932 Ford Model A. However, without a plan, I won't even remotely get from point A to B, never mind to the finish line which is point R. Have a plan - even if it means it will take yet another year to finish your pride and joy. You'll get there.

Now - what if you don't have a winter project, or your ride is already finished to the point where you are all good with it? This is where your imagination can really stoke your creativity. One of the best articles that has ever influenced me came from a major automotive magazine, and I've had a chance to experience something very similar here in Maine - is drive your hot rod, especially if it's a convertible, in the winter. I'm not talking about in the snow, or when the roads are loaded with salt, or when it's -5 degrees outside. I've seen enthusiasts in my neighborhood take their street rod, musclecar, and/or motorcycle out in January and February when Mother Nature smiles with some upper 40 degree temperatures and the roads are good and clean. What was the story I read? When   Hot Rod magazine took an early '30's roadster (no roof or windows) and drove it through New Mexico, Arizona, and into Southern California - in late January. Think it doesn't get cold in that part of the U.S. in winter? Think again - Flagstaff Arizona gets snow. I've ventured out onto I-295 here in southern Maine in mid-February with a friend of mine driving his late '20's rat rod. The fact that both of us looked like Eskimos doesn't begin to describe how many layers we had on, but what an unforgettable experience! And the looks you get from other travelers is priceless.

That's great Dave, but what if you don't fall into any of the categories I've described? One thing I've really gravitated towards over the past few years is photographing vintage cars and trucks in winter. The rustier they are, the better. It gives an entirely new perspective on vintage machinery. It doesn't matter if there's snow on the ground or not, and you don't have to be the next Ansel Adams. You will find your own perspective and discover what you truly dig. Plus, there's numerous "rust" photography groups on Facebook that will also appreciate your work. Trust me - there are lots of amateurs on those sights, so chill out if you think your shots "won't be good enough". Go ahead - take chances and make mistakes. It will actually help you be more creative when the time ever comes if you build another winter project. 

Until next time, get out there and just do it.
And peace out as always,
Dave




No comments:

Post a Comment