Sunday, March 25, 2018

It Seemed Like A Good Idea At The Time

I'm gonna go out on a limb here, and it may piss some people off. After all these years, even with all the different hot rods, muscle cars, trucks, and street machines I've owned, I can still admit that occasionally I'm a fickle gear-head. What I mean by that is, despite the popularity of a particular movement in our hobby, I still can't get behind what was done and accomplished. Case in point - I can vividly remember the Pro-Street movement during the mid to late '80's and how so over-the-top it finally became, that it had nowhere to go but crashing down for while. The thing is, I never had an issue with classic Detroit iron being tubed out with a huge BDS blower stacked on top of a big block sticking out through the hood. What I had a problem with was when this treatment was applied to late model vehicles with hideous colors. Do you remember when Hot Rod Magazine ran a story on building a pro-street car that could actually be driven regularly on the street? Don't feel bad - probably not many enthusiasts do. In fact, try using Google to find a picture of it - you can't - and I think there's a reason for that. The platform was a late-model Chevy Beretta. Yeah - a Beretta. Not the Camaro trim level option but the 2-door turd that was based on the 4-door Corsica. It leaves you speechless.

It probably seemed like a good idea at the time, because so many pro-street vehicles were literally race cars that were an absolute bitch to drive on the street. I should know - I built one in the mid-80's. It was a 1968 Plymouth GTX with a blown big block 440, automatic, huge Mickey Thompson's in the back and more roll cage than a jail cell. I sold it about a year after I finished it and purchased something more sane to drive. One of the big limiting factors back then was the fact that we did not have the engine and powertrain technology that we have today. Turbos, electronic fuel injection that you could program with a computer, overdrive transmissions, and cam profiles that resemble a modern car with variable valve timing weren't even on the horizon.

I used to bracket race on and off throughout the years, but I don't have the time (or money) to engage in the sport today as much as I would like to, but that's okay. I've been fortunate enough because of my love for hot rods, muscle cars and drag racing machines that I've ridden shotgun and have even driven some truly fast machinery - some to the tune of a mid 8-second quarter mile. I can truly appreciate what goes into going fast as well as the technological advances we've made. I frequently look at old photos from the mid to late 50's, especially when it comes to diggers. That was a time where both experimentation as well as life-or-death situations were common place. Back then, when a driver was making a pass at well over a buck ten, there was little to no room for error. Groove on the picture on the right. Yeah, the guy's wearing a brain bucket, but the roll bar doesn't extend north of his head and he's only wearing goggles. Can you imagine if that rig flipped over or suffered a fuel and/or nitro leak? Good night, Irene.

But, I guess that's the way mankind has always learned - the hard way and through trial and error. I still learn through trial and error, but I try to turn to the gods of speed for important lessons when I think my idea is a good one, but there's something niggling at my ego to double check some aspect. I think that's advise we could all live by.

Until next time, peace out.
Dave



No comments:

Post a Comment