Sunday, June 24, 2018

New Vs. Old

I realize it's been weeks since I've posted a blog entry and get ready for the myriad of excuses. Between going on a much needed vacation, working overtime at my regular job, as well as other things that life tends to throw at you, all I can say is... it happens. You also know that as well as anybody. Whether it's finding some spare time to work on an old car "project" that seems to take forever, or possibly missing that huge national car event out in the mid-western United States yet again. And then you vow to get to it next year. Then we'll see what next year brings.

I did have the opportunity to drive a brand new Chevy Malibu rental car over my vacation. It also gave me the chance to truly engage in much of the new technology that is now standard in numerous vehicles. I looked up my vehicle on the Chevrolet website, and with the options my car had, the Malibu had an original MSRP of just over $28,000 dollars. While not that outrageous price wise in today's car market, I came to the conclusion that while the car had such cool amenities as heated leather seats, satellite radio with a Bose sound system, and really decent mpg (thanks to the 1.5 liter turbo-charged engine), I would not want to repair this car when shit starts breaking down. 

For example, all the lights are either LED or HID bulbs. While LED bulbs are more expensive than regular bulbs, it's the HID headlights that get uber expensive. The Malibu had more computer systems than one would realize - over 25 according to my research. It also had the annoying "rear seat reminder" which would ding louder than hell almost every time you shut off the vehicle. But by far, the most troublesome feature, was the "auto stop" mode the car goes into at almost every intersection. I remember reading about this about two years back as a way to save gas as well as cut exhaust emissions. While the concept seemed kinda cool on paper, it took new vehicle owners a bit of a learning curve when this system debuted as they weren't used to a car that just shut off - or in their words, stalled out. GM even modified the tachometer to show drivers the car was doing what it was supposed to do. While this feature does not engage in any highway traffic scenario, and actually very little in a bumper to bumper traffic jam type situation, it does do it's thing over and over in a more urban area with traffic lights. I guarantee this car will need a new starter in 2-3 years as well as the sensor that operates this system that's behind the brake pedal.

While the Malibu performed almost flawlessly - the transmission computer got confused at times at stoplight situations where the stopped time frame didn't last as long as it "thought" it would - I only spent $75 in gas over the course of 1,500 miles. However, I still longed for those vacations of yesteryear. Maybe it was because gas was only 40 cents a gallon. Maybe because a 1967 Dodge Monaco was considered a full size car back then, while the Malibu is considered one today. Perhaps because the cars were way simpler then; the Monaco had a 383 engine that most likely came with A/C. If it ever broke down, it was easy to fix, and pretty cheap as well. If the A/C worked, you were still cool as a cucumber on hot sunny days. You could tow a boat with that full size Dodge. You can barely tow a small U-haul trailer with that Malibu due to the 1.5 liter engine. Say those numbers again - 1.5 - that's the same size engine that's in a 2nd generation Toyota Prius or an older Yaris or Echo. That's sub-compact territory.

It's on my bucket list to take a late 20's / early 30's street rod for a vacation road trip. As long as it's super reliable (as much as I can make it - stuff is always going to break), I believe it will add a very unique flavor to the trip... even if I spend way more than $75 in gas over the course of 1,500 miles. Until that time comes, I'll continue to rent new cars. Like a certain destination you go to while on vacation - it's nice to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there. Ditto with new cars; I like driving them, but I wouldn't want to own one.

Until next time, peace out.
Dave

No comments:

Post a Comment