Tuesday, May 28, 2024

5 Years, 7 Months, and 3 Weeks... Well, Almost

    It's been that long since the last Full Throttle blog post. I could fill this entry with cliche's like, "Where has the time gone?" or I could put down a litany of excuses as to why I haven't been writing, but here goes a feeble attempt anyways. I know where the time went - it passed me by like it always does. It didn't speed up like we think it does as we get older and I didn't experience any sand slipping through my fingers. 

   What has happened, however, since October 2018, was my wife and I purchased a house, which needed a little renovation. The automotive garage where I worked got busier and work consumed more of my available hours. Shortly after purchasing the house, my then son-in-law unexpectedly passed away. Moving forward after that, came Covid, which of course turned everything upside down, I had a substantial heart attack in the fall of 2020, and even more working hours at the garage going into 2021. Last but not least, was dealing with the passing of both my parents within an 18-month period, and then wrapping things up with being diagnosed with cancer this spring.

   Despite all this, the vintage automotive aspects of my life have not all been forgotten or lost. A few years back, I had the chance to purchase a 1953 Olds 88 street rod that went down as one of most dependable vehicles I've ever owned - regardless of age or how it looked with its beautiful surface rust and patina. However, a very cool fellow street rodder who was vacationing in our neck of the woods here in Maine saw it and offered me a price I couldn't refuse. He wanted the car to be a grandfather / grandson project and really take things to a higher level. Easy come, easy go. 

   Just recently, before my cancer diagnosis, I purchased a 1939 Plymouth Road King street rod. While there's a great deal of Chevy throughout the ride, (ranging from the drive-train, dash layout, and even the paint color), one has to remember, that it is indeed a street rod. It's going to be a melting pot of aspects regardless of our opinions. The way I see things, I dig it. I really do. If this was your ride, I would still dig it. And in the end, that's all that matters. It was restored / modified by a professional street rod builder that has been doing this type of work for over 40 years. While it's not perfect, or even what I would call true show quality, it's extremely presentable and an incredible driver. And I purchased it that way - even more opinions be damned. I've gotten to the age, at least in my noggin, that I no longer have the time nor the wherewithal to do massive amounts of paint, body work, or rebuild yet another engine even with the huge 2-bay garage that's part of the house we purchased. Been there, done that. This time around, I wanted a turn key hot rod. And even with the cancer diagnosis and upcoming chemotherapy treatments, I have zero plans to sell it and still drive it as often as possible. 

   While I've numerous people tell me I ought to sell my street rod as well as my fairly large collection of vintage drag racing and automotive memorabilia, because it would bring in a shit-ton of money, I will admit there is something, at minimum, very therapeutic, and at times, quite healing about driving my street rod and engaging in said vintage stuff. Some people may call these things impractical or dust collectors. But are they? Are they truly impractical if you receive some type of connection and joy from engaging with them? In my opinion, after all these decades and different hot rods and muscle cars, I find one of the most soothing things for my soul is the rumble of a high performance exhaust, the roar of the engine when the camshaft and related engine components are reaching their sweet spot at 5,000 rpm, or just taking in the scenery on a warm evening with the windows rolled down cruising at 50 mph. I also get a warm fuzzy when browsing, yet again, through my NHRA souvenir programs, or through an issue from the 60's of Car Craft, Popular Hot Rodding, Speed and Supercar or Super Stock & Drag Illustrated. The same thing happens when I look over, for the umpteenth time, my Hot Wheels collection that I've amassed since I was five starting back in 1967. Okay, we can't take our stuff with us, but money is not everything. 

 
   One thing I'm going to make a valid attempt at over the next 6 months, if not longer, is to sit down and do more writing and photography. With my chemo treatments starting in less than 2 weeks, I'm taking a bit of a vacation. I've taken a leave of absence from my full time job as I was coming home exhausted after only 8 hours. On numerous occasions, I would take an hour nap after work just to recharge my batteries a little bit. As of this juncture, my job will be there for me when I return; and that's if I return. Nothing is guaranteed, my friends. I've had one or two people kinda freak out me that I'm not working currently, and I know they're intentions are good, but again, work is far from everything and not my life's worth. I'm finding that I'm more drawn to writing, photographing, and dealing with vintage cars as well as vintage car people than ever. Y'all are a very cool breed - always have been. 

Until next time, peace out.

  


2 comments:

  1. Glad to read this. The journey is a strange one. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Dave, John Bridges here, love your new ride! Enjoyed reading the Blog. Stay strong through your treatment. Reach out to me sometime. Come see me at the Dog cart and I'd love to feed you! Be well my friend.

    ReplyDelete