Sunday, September 11, 2016

Do Something Crazy


I know it's been another two week gap in regards to writing the "weekly" blog. Last weekend, being the Labor Day holiday, the weather was way nicer than any of the local meteorologists said it was going to be, so my three days off from my regular job consisted of zero time being spent indoors; which meant zero time writing a blog post. I was lucky to actually sit down at the laptop on Tuesday and Wednesday to get all the pictures I took off my camera and phone. The thing is - even though a post did not get published last weekend, I didn't lose my shit over it. In fact, it didn't even bother me. The way I figured, unless you lived in the middle Atlantic states where your weekend was a total washout, you as well probably spent some serious time outside and not biting your finger nails waiting for my next post. If you were, you need to seriously get a life - now.

My wife has known for several years now, that my next hot rod / go-fast rig is going to be a rat rod of the early 1930's vintage; most likely a Ford. I actually entertained the idea of purchasing an old truck (Dodge, Ford or Chevy - I'm not picky) with a built range between the mid-30's to 1950. I even considered a one or one and a half ton dually for about a day or so. When I mentioned the dually part, my wife shot me a look she hasn't in years. She really didn't have to say anything, I knew what she was thinking. That's the double-edge sword of being married for 31+ years. She's very cool about the hot rod and muscle car scene (especially owning one), and she's adjusted very well to the fact that yes, a rat rod (that's not too damn ugly) will indeed inhabit the driveway. However, with all her patience, understanding, and support of one of my few hobbies, she has her line in the sand. She said one sentence - "...I can't handle you doing something that crazy again."

The thought of modifying and somewhat restoring an old dually left a short time later, especially when I started adding up the costs, and not from a divorce. Basic items like brakes, steering, and suspension components don't grow on trees anymore and the after-market has yet to really step in on stuff like this, especially with conversion parts to swap to modern components. Another major factor is I don't live out in Arizona, California, or the southern US, where rust free used parts would still be available from a collector of sorts. Could I buy this stuff through the internet? Sure - you wanna pay the shipping charges?

I revisit the finer details of the rat rod idea every now and again, and I have come to one conclusion; when I do purchase one, it will be at least 90% finished. It will run, drive, stop, and be 100% functional with lights, wipers, comfy seats, and maybe even a stereo - even though I know the tunes part goes completely against the rat rod genre. You're supposed to listen to the melodic sounds of the motor. I guess I am coming to grips with my age as well as my physical abilities. After completely restoring an antique Chevy truck about five years ago, I vowed never to do that much paint and body work again. I'm sticking to that vow. But my mind still wants to do something that's at least a little crazy. Searching online, I found a 1931 Ford Model A rat rod that, for all practical purposes, I could drive home and enjoy. It has Cadillac power (a first for me), a perfect patina Mother Nature paint job, wide white wall tires - the works. And when you consider the cost of "building a project car" nowadays, the asking price is very reasonable, if not a borderline steal.

Have you ever had the thought process of what will happen AFTER said project car is finished?  And I don't mean selling it either. I have done this on several occasions and it's happening again on my potential rat rod purchase. That's when you know hot rodding is a disease - when you plan things that you're going to do with this rig and you haven't even bought it yet. One thing I would do is to not only visit but participate in the Race of Gentlemen in Wildwood New Jersey. This event has been taking place for  approximately eight years now and is totally awesome, especially when you couple the fact that it takes place right on the beach on the Atlantic.

The history behind the event is just as cool. Going back to November 1947, eight guys from California met over coffee and formed a roadster and custom car club, called the Oilers. Their first president was Jim Nelson. Membership grew and by mid-1948, Nelson’s passion for racing brought the groups members and the Southern California Timing Association (SCTA) together. Nelson’s friend and SCTA founder, Wally Parks, announced his plans to form the National Hot Rod Association (NHRA), in 1949. Nelson stepped up to help and became one of their earlier technical inspectors.

Fast forward to 2008 - when a group of traditional hot rod enthusiasts meet with Jim Nelson at his home. The group heard stories first hand as Nelson relived the good ole days. An instant bond was formed and Nelson, with no hesitation, passed the torch on, opening a new chapter in the Oilers history. Now, a hand-picked group of ten individuals still carries on that tradition at two locations; in New jersey as well as in California. If you want to see true, as-it-really-was in the beginning, drag racing - this is it. The two best parts are 1). The NJ event takes place in early June, so it's not brutally hot. 2). A weekend pass is only $60 per adult (as of 2016). Okay, your lodging and food are going to add to the cost, but still an incredible bang for the buck.

Hopefully I'll be back next week. Until then, peace out.
Dave

No comments:

Post a Comment