Sunday, September 18, 2016

I'll Just Have To Win The Lottery

My wife should know better - she said to me the other day, "... we should start thinking about getting another vehicle." It may take her a little while, usually about 15 seconds, when she'll clarify as to the need and utility of this potential purchase. Where we currently live is very close (walking distance) to numerous amenities - you name it; shopping of any type, her art studio, the library, the ocean and boardwalk, restaurants, our friends, the list goes on. No, I'm not trying to sell you my house. My point is, for about eight months out of the year, we can truly get by with only one car. The other four months it's a little bit of a stretch. Over the past four years, all of the other toys (read: potential 2nd vehicles) have been sold; the antique Chevy truck, the Mustang, as well as the motorhome. The only rig in the stable is a Chrysler 300. We love the car and it has performed very well for us, but it's steaming towards 200,000 miles. It will make it without breaking a sweat, but at some point, it will do just that - break... and break hard. I'm talking about the transmission or head gaskets eventually giving up the ghost. I won't fix it mainly because the car just isn't worth my time and expense.

Me, in my infinite wisdom, thinks a 3-car scenario is the best way to go; his, hers, and the spare in case one of vehicles has to be repaired, which is always inevitable. Recently, two problems have arisen from this thought process; One, I currently don't have the space for three vehicles. The second problem, at least my wife thinks so, is in my world, the "spare" vehicle always comes in the form of an antique vehicle. I was at a car show last Friday evening, and in Maine, one thing is for sure when the calendar flips over to September - lots of antique hot rods get christened with a "For Sale" sign. It's almost like a right of passage into Autumn. One vehicle in  particular caught my attention which I never thought it would; a 1949 DeSoto, which was a very presentable driver that could be had for just over $6200. It was adorned with a cool shade of blue (my wife loves that color) and the fact it had the optional wood-grain and chrome dash. I instantly went into dream mode of dropping in a stout Chrysler big block, beefier automatic and a after-market rear end. Add a few custom Auto-Meter gauges, throw on some boss wheels and tires and... BAM! Dependable 3rd vehicle. Of course, you may also realize I went through this same process last week with a '29 Ford Tudor and I didn't have to do any work to! Just drive it!

Then reality hits but denial supplies more solutions. Fact - I don't have the space for three vehicles, never mind the room to modify one.  Denial solution - I can modify it at the garage I work at and park it there until it's done. Fact - with my regular work schedule as well as the time spent with my Vintage V8 Photography side business, I don't have the time to do this before the snow flies. Denial solution - we'll "make time" and eagerly get assistance from co-workers while completely ignoring the fact they they also have lives to live. Fact - your wife is totally not going to go for this. Buy the dependable '98 Camry that's cheap (over $4700 less) and a cake-walk to work on. Make your life easy, for once. The hot rod will come again at the right place, at the right time. Denial solution - the Camry is NOT the DeSoto... or the Ford... or that '65 Chevelle from last month. Make your yourself happy for once.

Then I realize once again that if I'm no good without any of those cool rides, I'm not going to be any good with them. The Camry (or some other cheap transportation) will get me from point A to B, even if it is about as exciting as watching the grass grow. And, if something happens to it, who cares? You should've seen me when the head gaskets went on the Mustang all of a sudden a few years back. Losing my shit was not an accurate enough term. It was not pretty. With all head gaskets, the cylinder heads had to be milled to insure their surface was tack straight. Ever mill a set of AFR aluminum heads? Talk about being nervous.

Then I have the quick thought of I'll just have to win the lottery. That would solve all my problems. I could purchase as many vehicles as I wanted AND have room to house them as well as work on them. I could even have that vintage Gasser I've always dreamed off. Yeah... okay. I don't think that would be such a hot idea. Why? Because I know me well enough, that's why.

Until next time, peace out.
Dave

No comments:

Post a Comment