Sunday, October 2, 2016

Unsung Hereos


I mentioned last weekend that the blog post got shelved because I was photographing so many cars that weekend, I just didn't have time to write. One week later, as I type this, I'm still processing the last few remaining pictures. I think I've also processed the last remaining hot rod ideas that just won't work, out of my head. All these ideas came to me while attending and photographing various car shows. During the past five days, I searched the following (and a few more than what's listed) on Craigslist as well as Racing Junk:
 - Gasser
 - School bus
 - Panel delivery truck
 - 31 Ford model A (again)

Somehow, I also stumbled across an ad for a 1984 International S1700 that's in very good condition for cheap money. I even reasoned with one of the lines in the ad: "Under 16,000 pounds - no CDL required." Bonus!

As I slowly but surely work these half-baked ideas out of my grey-matter, I have to be reminded of an absolute truth that my wife says from time to time; "We have a perfectly good car now." And while it may not be as glamorous as a muscle car, street rod, or rat rod, our current ride has served it's purpose so well, it doesn't owe me a dime. Maybe the car is paying me back, where a number of winters ago, I dug it out of a snow bank, paid $300 bucks for it, replaced a few parts over the years, and have proceeded to rack up almost 50,000 miles. Did I mention the odometer is almost at 200K now? It's still a comfy car, the heated leather seats still work, the Chrysler 3.5 HO engine can muster a few ponies and can tach up to 5,500 rpm every once in a while with relative ease. The JVC stereo in it is worth more than what I paid for the thing, and I can knock down about 22mpg. As far as daily drivers go, it's an unsung hero.

These heroes can come in all years, makes and models. Ever hear the story of the 1969 Shelby GT500 that has over 400,000 thousand miles on it? And it's still going on the original big block engine and top-loader 4speed? Granted, it's been through three clutches, one radiator, two carburetor rebuilds, almost two dozen brake pads, a timing chain, a cylinder head freshening, and more preventative maintenance you can shake a bunch of sticks at. It's been driven (and shifted) so much that the clutch fork also wore out - bent from use and fatigue - that the mechanic who replaced it had never seen that before. The vehicle is driven quite a bit less than when it was new. But back in 1969 and throughout the '70's, it was just another car.

Or how about the Gasser-influenced flip front 1940 Ford that Glen Krapff has owned for decades? He purchased it for a mere $50 bucks back in November 1962. The dash and interior paint is still original. The seats are from a 1966 GTO that was wrecked in 1969. They've never been recovered. The exterior paint was applied in 1971 - looking good with just a little fading. The blown big block Chevy has been in the family for over 30 years. Still crankin' thank you very much. And no, this is not a low-mileage, rarely driven rig; it has well over 100,000 miles... way over.

Now that I think about it, I was on Racing Junk earlier today. I saw this nice '32 5-window street rod with an East Coast style channel and no-chop roof. Literally turn key. Maybe I could convince my wife that this hot rod could the next "unsung hero" in the stable. I didn't think so either...

Until next time, peace out.
Dave


No comments:

Post a Comment