Sunday, January 1, 2017

Goodbye 2016, Hello 2017

I know - everybody is SO over 2016. It's all I've heard all week. While the past 12 months has not exactly been the hotbed of positiveness, I'm sure if we look back over 2016, we would find it wasn't ALL bad. I guess it just depends on your perspective. And there lies the challenge for 2017; keeping a balanced perspective.

It seems now more than ever, and maybe the media as well as social media has amplified the shit out of it, but there's a sad division between people who do not agree with each other. It's almost to the point of, "If you don't agree with us, you're against us. And because of that - I hate you and you suck." This concept can divide us on a very large scale as a society, or down to smaller increments such as in our car and racing hobby. I can remember about 30+ years ago when muscle cars really came into vogue for the first time. Brand bashing was rampant - and we didn't have computer keyboards to hide behind either. Then, it went micro even further. When the 100% factory restoration phase was king by the late 80's, people would argue over what finish was correct on a fastener that was used to secure a trunk-mounted spoiler. Thankfully, over the past ten years or so, we have come to realize that as fewer and fewer of these cars exist, and EPA laws continually creep in to sanction our hobby, it has turned into a "United we stand..." type attitude.

Over the past seven years, I have written hundreds of blog posts (not just here but on other websites as well) and have photographed several thousand cars. After a while, especially during the summer months when I'm flat-out busy, it can, at times, all seem to blur together. And while I might be at a car show shooting over 500 vehicles on a given weekend, and for me it's just "...business as usual", I have to remember the person who owns the vehicle I'm photographing. A certain expression comes over their face - one of pride or satisfaction - that another individual is actually taking the time to photograph, at several angles, their vehicle. It's way more reactionary or involved than the casual passerby who snaps a quick shot with their cell phone.

I have had vehicle owners step out of the way so I can photograph their car better. I have people open the hoods, trunks, and even lower convertible tops so I can get a better shot. The funny things is, they are usually the first to say thank you for what just transpired. I have to remind them that it was me who owes the thanks - especially since if they weren't there in the first place, I wouldn't even have this opportunity.

It is a sobering reminder that we, as professionals as well as amateurs, have to keep that in mind; that the words we write and photographs we take are for the benefit of you - our audience. It is rather easy for us (or anyone in any other profession) to take ourselves to seriously. No one needs to read this blog, or purchase my prints, and I'm not saving the world or curing cancer - I get it. What I try to offer is a different perspective on life, the vintage performance hobby, and offer a break from the mundane or monotonous routine of daily life. Whatever I post on here - the words, thoughts, or pictures - I hope it puts a smile on your face. I also hope you find substance to all as well.

Until next time, here's to a great 2017.
Peace out,
Dave

No comments:

Post a Comment