Sunday, September 10, 2017

Dripping With Ugly

I was cruising home from work the other night when this I saw the markings of an antique automotive something motoring in the opposite direction. By the time we were passing each other on the road, I noticed several things within about two seconds - the car was all blue, had really cool retro American Racing wheels with fat tires in the rear, skinnier treads up front complimenting that old-school California rake, a nasty sounding big block motor, and... it was a 1963 Plymouth Savoy. The year, make, and model were easy to identify - not because I'm fan of classic Mopar's - but the front grill (and car for that matter) is totally unmistakable. You simply cannot confuse it with anything else. Some say it has a face only a mother could love. I can remember chatting with a guy over 25 years ago at a car show in Massachusetts who owned one very similar to the one pictured above. He said he loved it because the car was "dripping with ugly".

Why, do we as humans, place so much emphasis on how something looks? Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. For a while, not too many years ago, there seemed to be a greater emphasis than ever on just how a hot rod is supposed to look. This was totally apparent when the rat rod rose to popularity. While the novelty has worn off a bit on this particular genre of vintage motoring in recent years, these vehicles can still hold their own at any car show. At this juncture, I must come clean - whether it's owning one or photographing a particular example, I still prefer a vintage, cool car (or truck) that is considered a driver over a an example that has been 100% restored or redone. It doesn't matter if it's a muscle car, street rod, or a pedestrian 4-door sedan from 1956. Maybe that's one reason why I like beaters. I've said this before, but I feel an antique vehicle that has battle scars from the road has more history to show me, and more stories to tell. I don't know who coined the phrase, "... it's only original once," but they were dead on.

I've transferred this mindset to my photography. When it comes down to brass tacks, I will take more  pictures of a rusty daily driver than of a vehicle that has been restored to the gills. I can appreciate both rides on different levels, but I will gravitate towards the car that is nowhere near as pristine. I've even had vehicle owners apologize for the current state of their ride because it's not "mint" while I'm taking pictures of it. I then engage in at least a ten minute conversation telling them that their rig is a thing of beauty, while they go on and on about when they're going to repaint it, or redo the interior, or detail the engine bay. If those are your true game plans for the vehicle - great. But if they are not, don't say so just to appease me. I'm digging your car or truck just the way it sits.

Half of my photography also includes abstract works. All of the finished photographs are of rust, patina, and other metal that is weathered and worn. All are inspired by Mother Nature doing her thing on old automobiles. I've have numerous people comment on the beauty, color, and composition of a certain photograph, only to learn in horror that the subject is a close up of a rusty and rotting front fender off a 1955 Chevy that's been sitting on a trailer for years. The facial expressions get even worse when I relay the story of how I asked the owner if I could photograph his rusty hunk of metal, who also happened to be sitting on his back porch, totally shitfaced with a bottle of Jack Daniels in his hands... and how afterwards we talked for a little bit about his "project" and how he's going to finish it someday. Like the rust, this is real life. And it's not always pretty.

In the end, don't let your street rod, muscle car or whatever, dictate your future. I've heard too many owners explain that the reason they don't take their cars out for a summer cruise, is because it's not finished yet. Or it's still in primer. Or the interior is practically gutted and all it has is one bucket seat, the steering wheel, and a dashboard. Time is short - engage in the day, the weekend, or the season. For a number of us, the current summer season is quickly drawing to a close. Take you're rusty, original, or unfinished ride out with the masses. You'd be surprised at the positive reception you'll still get.

Until next time, peace out.
Dave

No comments:

Post a Comment