Sunday, September 24, 2017

Rear View

I've finally had some serious time this weekend to take a hard look at the too numerous to count photographs I've taken over the summer car show season, which is winding down despite the 80+ degree temperatures we're experiencing here in New England. I only have two automotive events left on my calendar and they're both in October. Added to that, were two photographic displays in local galleries during the past month and one more next month. I think by the beginning of November, I'll be able to catch my breath as we start to hunker down, like it or not, for winter.

One thing I've noticed over the past few months is some of the originality and ingenuity that have gone into some of the hot rods I've photographed. For what it's worth, in my humble opinion, it's refreshing to see some "thinking outside the box" when it comes to building a hot rod, especially if the checkbook doesn't allow for your hobby to go whole hog. This reminds me of hot rodding from the late 40's through the mid 60's, when enthusiasts, quite literally, had to use what was at hand. It was not uncommon at all to see a hot rod with WW2 surplus, or a '32 Ford coupe with a Cadillac motor, LaSalle transmission, the rearend and brakes from a Lincoln, with an early 40's Ford steering wheel for some added pizazz. Even throughout the 50's and 60's, it was totally acceptable for magazines like Hot Rod and Car Craft to feature engine swap articles where a 392 Hemi was shoehorned into a Studebaker, a truck, and even a '57 T-bird.

I don't know about you, but after all these years, I'm still unsure as to why this practice is frowned upon. It seems if the vehicle was built prior to 1950 - it's okay - which I've also given up on trying to figure out why this is some sort of cut-off year. Maybe because so many street rods from the 1920's through the late 40's have small block Chevy's powering them regardless of the make. The only exception to this rule, in modern times, is the LS Chevy swap in a Fox-body Mustang. And like in my last post, I must come clean once again - even I run up against stumbling blocks with the thought of purchasing, what is called in my area, a "mutt" hot rod. Lately, I've been jonesing to purchase a boxy Volvo sedan or wagon from the 80's that's powered by a turbo-charged LS motor that can run low 10's in the quarter. My primary hesitation? I know I will eventually have to sell that Volvo... and I'll be stuck with it, and I'll have to sell it at a potentially large monetary loss. I went through this same scenario with an antique Ford truck and I vowed never to get myself into that situation again. If I buy a pre-1950 hot rod, I won't have that problem for some reason. So many currents in such a little puddle...

This ingenuity is one thing I love about vintage drag racing and even with vehicles that raced at the Bonneville salt flats. For example, groove on the 1958 Pontiac that was entered and driven by Bobby Cox. In the never-ending effort to achieve more power, and hence more speed, in order to break the current mph record, many drivers found creative ways to cram more air into the carburetors of their engines. Bobby Cox was no exception, except his choice was rather unique when it came to any type of ram-air equipment for the 380cid engine that was between the fenders - furnace pipe, flex pipe, and metal strapping. High tech at it's finest. It's sole purpose was not to look pretty; it was crudely fitted to trap the wind and force it into the engine. Cox came close to breaking the record in 1962 out at Bonneville in the C/Gas Coupe and Sedan class- within 4mph of the 153mph record.

In early drag racing, nothing went to waste. If it wasn't needed, it was set aside, or in some cases, tossed in the trash. While this barn-find former drag car is in rough shape, notice the lack of front and rear fenders, headlights, and other components. We also witness the different size bias-ply sneakers and mismatching hubcaps. A closer look reveals the other side of the early drag racing picture; while it was true making the vehicle lighter helped in the quest for speed, performance parts were also part of the math. The modified flathead motor, the Lincoln juice brakes, and even though we can't see it, this rig probably has a quick-change rearend. Simplicity and function over form. And did I mention cheap?

There's an old saying; "... the good 'ol days weren't always good, but we can learn some valuable things from them." So true - one thing I'd like to see is more wide-spread acceptance of hot rods being appreciated for being just that - hot rods. Regardless what's between the fenders, frame, and the interior doors.

Until next time, peace out.
Dave

No comments:

Post a Comment